Fat is known as a bad thing for the body. but it is not totally true. fat is an essential micronutrient for our body. in our diet. it is a “ default energy” reserver.
Because 1gm fat contains 9 calories.so if we take an example suppose an athlete with 15% body fat has an approx 9900- 10000gm of stored fat in adipose tissue.
In which he/she get 90000 calories of energy. this 90000 calorie can help athletes to finish multiple marathons and many more resistance exercise sessions.
As from example, we can understand the power of fat. fat is a very useful macronutrient which is helpful for energy-consuming tasks. but as we know fat is an unhealthy thing for body.
It is also completely not true. because it have many different forms or we can say there are many types of fat. in which some is good for health and some as we know bad for health. let’s take a brief knowledge about types of fats.
Fat intake per day
According to dietary references intake(DRI).For an adult human is 20% to 35% of their daily calorie from fat.which is 44 grams to 77 grams of fat per day.
Fat types or types of fats
- Saturated fat.
- Trans fat
- .Unsaturated fat
- Monosaturated fats
- Polyunsaturated fat
- Omega 3 Fatty acid
- Omega 6 fatty acid
- Omega 3 fatty acid
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)
- Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA)
these fats are solid at room temperature. consuming saturated fats increase the level of LDL cholesterol or bad cholesterol in the body. LDL increases the risk of heart problems.
The American heart association recommends the daily intake of saturated fat 5 to 6 percent of daily calories.
Products that contain saturated fats are butter, full-fat milk etc.
these fats are mostly found in nuts, seeds, fish and vegetable oils. these types of fats are considered as good fat they help to Lower the level of LDL cholesterol.
Most dietitians and nutritionists recommend that consume and unsaturated fat instead of saturated fats. unsaturated fats are divided into two groups of monosaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats.
Monounsaturated: fats these fats are usually liquid at room temperature. And can be solidified by freezing them in the fridge.
These fatty acids that have one double bond in the chain of fatty acid. these fats can be considered a healthy fat.
These fats protect from cardiovascular diseases. because they provide excess membrane fluidity than saturated fats.
Polyunsaturated fats: these fats also healthy fats. these are found mostly in plant and animal foods such as vegetable oils, nuts, and seeds.
polyunsaturated fats are divided into two groups Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids.
Omega 3 fatty acids: In fitness supplementation, we know it from the name of fish oil what actually fish oil contains Omega 3, not Omega 3 is fish oil. some studies tell that it lowers the risk of cardiovascular diseases. the human body can’t generate it itself so we should have to take it via diet. It also slows the progress of Alzheimer’s disease. fishes such as Salmon contains a good amount of Omega 3. it also comes in three forms.
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA).
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).
- Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA).
Omega 6 fatty acid: American heart association recommends to take your 5% to 10% daily calorie from Omega 6 fatty acids. are mainly found in nuts, seeds, vegetable oils, and green vegetables.
A process used by the food processing industry is known as hydrogenation. by which oil is heated at high temperature and hydrogen gas is passed through this oil to produce trans fatty acids.
These fatty acids are dangerous for health. but they are used in baked goods like a doughnut, bread, crackers etc. because trans fats are great in taste. but bad for health.
what is cholesterol?
I will try to describe it in brief. cholesterol is also a type of fat. which is found in our body and food. the main types of cholesterol are.
HDL ( high density- lipoprotein): this cholesterol is generally known as good cholesterol. because of HDL help in removing the bad cholesterol. which is stuck in the arteries by carrying back to the liver for disposal.
LDL ( low density- lipoprotein): as we learn above HDL is good cholesterol then LDL is bad cholesterol. because LDL cholesterol stuck in arteries.
But cholesterol also used for building cell walls and producing some hormones.
Advantages of fats
- Fat gives taste to the foods.
- Fat providing cushion protection to our body and its organ from Collisions.
- fat works as a heat insulator. this reason is why obsessed people feel less cold than a thin person.
- Fat is concentrated storage or source of energy. 1 gram of Fat contains 9 calories.
- fat enables our body to process some vitamins. such as A, D, E and K. because these are soluble in fat.
- Omega 3 is that fatty acid which provides our brain to work efficiently.
Disadvantages of fat
- As we study about saturated fats are worse for our health than unsaturated fat. which increases over cholesterol level.
- we know fat is concentrated source energy. but when we don’t use that stored energy. that will cause weight gain and this weight if not gone and increasing day by day. then it can invite several diseases to make the home in the human body.
Cholesterol advantages and disadvantages
- It builds cells wall.
- bile formation by cholesterol.
- insulation property also used by Nerve cells. which means Nerve cells used it for insulation.
- vitamin D formation in the presence of cholesterol.
- Chest pain.
- heart attack
- high blood pressure
I think this the advantages or enough to keep your cholesterol level normal. maintain your weight and take a balanced diet and exercise daily.
I hope this post helps you to understand fat function and importance in our body.